Lentils are a gluten-free protein powerhouse and they are dirt cheap. This is one of my favourite recipes because it is super easy, filling, flavourful, and healthy. Great if you’re a student. Great if you’re using up the dregs of your food cupboards. Great for meat-free Monday!
Many people associate lentils and rice with blandness. This recipe completely dispels that. All you need is a few basic spices.
Indian is Michael and I’s favourite cuisine, and it just so happens to consist of mainly gluten-free foods! In the future, I’d like to post recipes for gluten-free naan and gluten-free chapatis, but for now, pimping up the rice with lime juice and fresh coriander really pulls the dish together.
Experiment with this recipe if you like! Add in any combination of veggies you fancy – cauliflower, sweet potato, kale… and be sure to tag me in any pictures of your creation on Instagram (@glutenfreegateway)!
Green Lentil Curry
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 red and 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 heaped tsp ginger paste
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100 g fresh or frozen spinach
- 1 x 400g tin of green lentils
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of chopped coriander
- On a medium heat, fry off the onion and pepper in vegetable oil in a pan with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for around 7-10 minutes until soften.
- Add the ginger paste, minced garlic, and all the spices, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Loosen the mixture with a little bit of water (1 tbsp at a time) if it is too dry.
- Pour in the tin of tomatoes and add the frozen spinach if using. Mix everything together and bring to the boil with the lid on so the frozen spinach will heat and wilt.
- When the mixture is boiling, reduce to low and cook covered for 15 minutes, then uncovered for 10.
- The curry should be thickened at this point and the frozen spinach should have thawed completely. If using fresh spinach, add now. Add the lentils and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice.